Saturday 23 October 2010

Define: Paganism

So lets start out at square 1. I'm setting out to (In my own way) define Paganism. In order to study a faith, you need to understand the basic concepts of it - to do this, I must first know exactly what I am talking about.

One definition of paganism (ECauldron, 2010) says that "A Pagan religion is a religion that is not Jewish, Christian, or Islamic and self-identifies as Pagan." I can see where this applies however one could disagree due to the fact that many teachings in, for example the bible show how everyone should have a respect for the earth and show respect to one another - exactly how many other Pagan followers would percieve their own views.

Personally, I would say that almost every religion in the world, if not all religions in the world have Pagan traits to them, even if they cannot be defined as "Pagan religions". So in this respect, I now know that my definition will need to be farely diverse.

My Definition
Paganism is a combination of religions, faiths, denominations and beliefs that predates many (if not all) of the present-day religions. It can include harmonizing with mother earth, as much as it can include ritualistic burning of wood and natural elements, there are different practises for each "denomination" or section of Paganism.

Until next time, Joel

References
ECauldron, 2010. A Pagan Primer -- For Those New To Paganism. [online] 
Available at: http://www.ecauldron.net/newpagan.php
[Accessed 23 October 2010].

No comments:

Post a Comment